Saturday, March 30, 2013

Javi Martinez: I never had any doubts over Bayern Munich transfer ...

The former Athletic Bilbao midfielder revealed he had always dreamt of a switch abroad and is more than content with his choice of destination

The Spain international had reportedly also caught the attention of Barcelona and Real Madrid, but he did not need to think twice when Bayern came calling as he had always dreamt of moving abroad.

"I never thought twice when I heard Bayern wanted me. I already knew as a child that I wanted to get to learn new countries and cultures. At the age of 24 the time was right," Javi Martinez told TZ.

"I had had a good season with Athletic Bilbao. When I found out about Bayern's interest, I didn't need long to make a decision. You don't get opportunities like this twice, so I jumped at it.

"One of the guys I used to play against when I was a kid had told me that I would play for Bayern one day, and he turned out to be right. I gave him a call when the transfer was a done deal, but he couldn't remember it."

The holding midfielder then revealed that he dreamed of becoming a goalkeeper in his younger years, but his brother convinced him he would be better off in midfield.

"I always wanted to be a goalkeeper. My brother then placed a bet with me, though. He would take 10 penalties and I could continue as a shot stopper if I saved one. Needless to say, he didn't miss a single one."

Link: [Live Football] First Vienna FC - SCR Altach - Austrian Erste Liga

No comments:

Post a Comment